Raising writing standards
What I offer
I offer a tailored package of support and/or training perfectly suited to meet the current needs of your school including:
- Enjoyable and interactive INSET session on tips and techniques for quickly making a difference to children’s general writing standards (and attitude to writing)
- Tackling the thorny issues of teaching grammar
- Scrutinising your children’s writing books and providing a detailed map of each class’s current strengths, weaknesses and next steps for learning
I give concrete and practical solutions to children’s writing blocks and provide teachers with a means of equipping children with a reliable and replicable toolkit for tackling longer writing tasks.
I also give much-needed support to teachers, either individually or whole-school, who themselves may be feeling less confident about their knowledge and understanding of terminology or may not consider themselves ‘writers’.
How it works
Through years of experience I know how to pitch instruction so that not only is it effective but also helps children to begin to think and talk like writers. I provide input on two levels:
- By offering an objective view of where each group of children is currently operating and where exactly they are struggling, I give targeted advice about what skills each class teacher should be focussing on next.
- For children to make progress with their writing they need to be taught the thought processes that good writers take for granted:
- the process of drafting, redrafting and editing for mechanical errors
- the discernment needed to pick the most effective words, phrases and sentence constructions for the task
- the vocabulary (grammar and syntax terminology) needed to discuss and analyse other people’s writing, and so, by default, their own.
None of this is ‘difficult’ – it just needs meticulous planning and delivery.
Take a closer look at the training and support packages»